When you contact the practice for the first time, our friendly reception staff will explain to you that your initial consultation will take about 20 to 30 minutes with the dentist, and includes all the necessary basic radiographs, and will cost £45.00.
During your first appointment, The dentist will discuss with you any problems or concerns you may have, to better understand your reason for coming to see us. Your dentist will then perform and talk you through a thorough dental examination, focusing on the following areas of your mouth:
- Examine the health of your tongue, lips and cheeks and jaw joints – oral cancer is the fourth most common cancer in the UK, and is on the increase.
- Check each individual tooth health and condition – problems spotted earlier are more easily solved and cost less to maintain.
- Check for any soft or hard plaque deposits – these can impact on the health of your gums, increasing the risk of dental decay and gum disease.
- Check how healthy your gums are – poor gum health has been shown to have a direct impact on many systemic health conditions, such as heart disease.
- Ask you about your current oral health routine – to see if we can offer any advice on improving your oral health.
- Check the health and condition of any existing fillings, crowns, bridges or implants – defects or ledges on these restorations can lead to gum problems or dental decay.
- Check your bite and for signs of tooth wear – tooth wear, or ‘enamel erosion’, is an increasingly common problem in the modern population.
- Take any required digital x-rays – to check between teeth, under fillings and crowns, and to examine the supporting bone structures where your dentist can’t see so easily naturally.
- Looking to change your smile? – let your dentist know if there is something you don’t like or want to change about your smile. They will give you their expert advice on any suitable cosmetic options, such as tooth whitening. We will always aim to offer the most conservative and minimally invasive cosmetic treatment options available to maintain your natural health and minimise any long-term complications.
Your dentist will then talk you through their findings and show you any x-rays they have taken. They will always aim to explain everything as clearly as possible, and please feel free to ask them any questions you may have. They will explain in detail all the available options for any treatment and a treatment plan will then be formulated and a copy will be emailed to you. However, if your case is particularly complex, a further appointment may be required, but at no additional cost to you.
At the end of this appointment you should be have a clear idea of any dental problems that you have, and the options available to you. If you wish to proceed with the recommended treatment you will book all the necessary appointments and pay a small deposit towards your next appointment.
We understand that coming to the dentist can be a daunting or nerve-wracking experience for many patients. Our team will do all they can to put you at ease from the moment you walk through our door, and our clinicians will always treat you with respect and a calm, friendly approach.
We put a particular emphasis on preventing any long-term oral health problems, so your dentist will also take the time to explain how you can improve your oral health routine or reduce your risk of any problems in the future. We usually recommend that you also see a hygienist between dental oral health check-ups to ensure optimal gum and oral health, as prevention is always better than cure!
How often should I visit my dentist?
After your oral health check-up, your dentist will recommend a date for your next visit and discuss this with you. The time to your next check-up could be as short as 3 months, or as long as 2 years – or up to 1 year if you are under 18. Generally speaking, the lower your risk of dental problems, the longer the gap will be before your next check-up. This may vary at different times of your life, depending on the condition of your teeth, gums and mouth, or other changes in your health or lifestyle.
Arranging Future Appointments
To safeguard your place on our patient list we encourage all our patients to arrange their future appointments once they have completed a current course of treatment. Our reception team are always happy to arrange a future appointment up to 12 months ahead, and we will keep you informed if we need to change these appointments for any reason. For those patients who are unable to book ahead, we are able to forward SMS or email reminders to allow you to arrange at a later date.
- We have introduced an automated standby list for patients who wish to be seen sooner.
- Our team are happy to add any patient to this list, and if a suitable appointment becomes available you will receive a text message. Then you will have the opportunity to bring your appointment forward.
- Do not worry if the alternative appointment is not suitable, we will retain your original appointment time unless you inform us otherwise.
- Please ensure our reception team have your correct mobile and email details at all times, so we can remind you of your appointments.
To make it easy for you and your family to visit us, we offer family appointments so that you can each be seen consecutively. Please mention that you would like a family appointment when you speak to a member of our reception team to book your appointment. Please note that all appointments are available on a first-come, first-served basis. We will therefore do our best to accommodate your preferred time and date for appointments, however they are subject to availability.
What our patients say…
“The surgery is always welcoming, from the minute step into the surgery you are welcomed by very friendly reception staff. I have never been kept waiting long for my appointment they generally run on time but will inform you at reception if not. The dentist is very informative throughout the appointment and if treatment is needed will always explain the options you have and will give their advice. They are brilliant with my children. Brilliant service everytime I have visited.”
Contact us today
We’re here to help